This workshop in Fort Worth, Texas brought me so many new ideas and techniques to implement in my classroom. Before I get into that though, a clinician's breakout session at this conference discussed "Teaching Music. Teaching Life. Honoring the Great Teachers in My Life." It really got me thinking, what made me want to become a teacher? Who had that special impact on me that really changed my life?

One person came to mind. Gayle Weaver. Mrs. Weaver was my music teacher in high school She gave me tools in life that has helped me not only face success, but happiness as well. As a teacher, she
had the power of great teaching that stays with you for a lifetime. She passed on a genuine love and enthusiasm for making beautiful music that is both authentic and contagious. Maybe the most important thing a music teacher can give.

The music room was always my safe place. It was the place I could go to be myself, to talk to others, to express my ideas and goals in life, and to really, just be me. Mrs. Weaver taught me that success isn't luck, it's being prepared when an opportunity comes knocking. My 10th grade year of high school, I auditioned to attend District Choir. I was SO nervous, but through preparation and guidance, I completed a successful audition at the District level, and advanced to Region Choir. I performed the same way for my band auditions. I was the first student in almost 12 years to compete at Districts in both band and choir, and advance to Regions in both band and choir. I was on a roll. I felt confident in myself. I was a new me. 

My junior year, it was the same thing, just placing closer and closer to qualifying for States. 

My senior year, I placed first chair at District Choir. FIRST CHAIR, by 20 points. 20! That's a lot. Unfortunately the day before Region Choir, I was in a car accident. I was in the ER until 2 am. I was leaving for Region Choir at 8 am. My mom didn't want me to go. My dad didn't want me to go. I WANTED TO GO! I needed to prove to myself that I could do it. I needed this. I went to school that day and told Mrs. Weaver that she was probably going to get a call from my mom saying that I was allowed to have Tylenol with me, and that I probably shouldn't be traveling to this festival. Mrs. Weaver was disappointed that I was there. She wanted me to focus on my health. I had been recovering from laryngitis, and now a car accident. She told me I didn't have to go, that I could stay behind. I told her what I had told myself. I WANTED TO GO. I NEEDED TO GO. She gave me the biggest hug and told me that she was proud of me no matter what. 

That year at Region Choir, I place 5th chair. I was ONE chair away from qualifying for State Choir. Was I upset with myself, probably. Did it stop me from trying my best? No. I still went to school to be a music teacher. I still got my first teaching job right out of school. I still landed my dream job, at the same school that I went to. I now have the opportunity to be someone's Mrs. Weaver. It is my goal to make a difference in a student's life. There really is no way to know how much influence you have over students who come into your life, but I hope that I have proved to Mrs. Weaver how much she impacted my life. 





Comments

  1. It sounds like you have taken from all your experiences in your life and are incorporating them into your teaching. Your perseverance and will is something I am certain that resonates with your students and that they apply to their learning. I'm sure Mrs. Weaver would be proud of the teacher you have become and the influence that you are having in another generation of students' lives. Keep up the great work and keep passing the positivity on to your students. We all have different ways that we can be impactful and if each student takes one thing away, we have been successful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog